A quick and dirty (but all clean ingredients) recipe for those in dire need of a chocolate fix. ALL the chocolatey flavor you love; sans any of the nasty additives. Easy on the stomach, as it’s completely dairy free… but- has all the richness heavy cream would otherwise add thanks to a secret green ingredient. Any guesses? 🙂
PURE BLISS. Those two words that perfectly capture the essence of this dessert or breakfast mousse. I lived forever infatuated with chocolate mousse. Ob-sessed. I used to love it- maybe a little too much. It didn’t do me any good, either. I would almost always purchase it and it was probably made with processed cocoa, hormone laden dairy, and tons of white sugar.
This version is made with the finest, unprocessed raw cacao and sweetened with pure maple. It derives its creaminess from deliciously ripe avocados which are loaded with healthy fats and go completely unnoticed in this chocolate masterpiece. All they do is lend the mousse it’s creamy texture. Flavor-wise, you can’t even tell they’re there. So as odd as the entry title sounds, don’t allow yourself to be turned off without giving this heavenly mousse a well-deserved shot.
I decided to try this avocado-chocolate experiment on friends on a very cold February winter evening. Close friends came over for a play date with my children while my husband was away on business. I was a bit weary to have them try this, but I was convinced that it was quite possible other humans may just enjoy this as much as I do. They couldn’t stop raving about it. There were seconds and they said it was absolutely delicious. Validation. I am not crazy, these healthy desserts actually taste amazing and you’re nourishing your body as you go. It’s a win-win. I have since continued to perfect the recipe and this is as chocolaty and creamy as it gets!
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 4 large ripe Hass avocados or 6 small ones
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips ( I use the dairy-free Enjoy Life Brand)
- 1/3 cup of agave (for medium sweetness) or 1/2 cup of agave (for a sweet palate) If you don’t have or like agave, pure maple syrup works well, too!
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened almond OR coconut milk *carrageenan free
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- fresh raspberries and/or strawberries for garnish
- mint leaves for garnish
Optional (If you’re making this to serve the next day)
- a pinch of sea salt (helps preserve it for up to 2 days in your fridge) about 1/4 teaspoon. Just a small, small amount. Remember that avocado oxidizes and turns brown pretty quickly.
- Place the raw cacao nibs or chocolate chipits on a microwaveable bowl on top of a saucepan with water that is simmering on low heat. Allow the nibs to melt. The microwave also works, but it may sometimes “burn” them a little, so I prefer this method. Chocolate scorches easily!
- Cut the avocados in half and discard the core and peel. Place inside the food processor and add the almond or coconut milk, raw cacao, agave and pure vanilla extract. Blend on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until evenly smooth.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate nibs into the mix that’s in the food processor, mixing as you go. Blend on high for 20 seconds and voila! Refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving, it tastes better cold!
- Garnish with fresh raspberries & mint leaves for dessert. Or you can have it with strawberries, granola & almond butter as a decadent breakfast of champions.
*Carrageenan has been linked to cancer by some preliminary studies. I always ensure my non-dairy milk choice is carrageenan free.
By: Aleyda/The Dish On Healthy